Saturday, November 5, 2011

What the blogger wore

Alternate title to this post:  How a storm made sent me on a $200 shopping spree.

My Friday night was thrilling.  As the yearbook teacher at my school, it's my job to take pictures at EVERY school event (until such a time as I know the camera well enough to teach it to  student and delegate the responsibility), and last night was no exception.  It was the fall sports banquet and I was all prepared.  I had my camera, my coffee, and my casual attire.  Except that the dress code for the event is cocktail.  Yep.  I wasn't thinking about that one.

Let me be clear... Friday is spirit day at my school, which means my jeans and yearbook t-shirt.  I didn't even think to pack a spare change of clothing... DUMB.  I decided to head home in 1.5 hours I had between school and the banquet to grab a dress or slacks or anything that wasn't a burlap sack or a yearbook t-shirt and worn out sandals.

Cue the dust storm of the century.  I live about 20 miles from where I work, and after 45 minutes of trying to get on the freeway I knew I was out of luck.  I was SO tired, and SO out of ideas, when it came to me like a beacon of light: SHOPPING!

I knew I didn't want to spend a ton, and even had the idea that I would leave the tags on if I could and take things back the next day (Yes, I AM being that girl right now, but the situation was dire and I was desperate.  Judge if you will).  Old Navy seemed like the safest bet.

Originally I was looking for a dress (of which they had several cute ones!), but when I realized in the fitting room that my legs weren't... "prepared"  for a dress, I had to switch up the plans.  Slacks and a dress shirt it is!  I ended up coming away with about $75 in clothing, most of which were the $50 cotton pants (jigga-WHAT?! Those are SO going back!!), and had to go to Kohls to grab shoes (since Old Navy's selection left much to be desired).  So, without further ado, here's what the blogger wore...


Well, how did I do for having 1/2 and hour and little selection?

Granted, the bag is mine (I bought this Banana Republic bag in lieu of the Fossil Weekender I had been considering - the size was much more suited to my needs), and I own an extremely similar gold ring that I happened to be wearing already.  But everything else was cobbled together from Old Navy.

It ended up working out perfectly, and I even fell head over heels for the shirt, shawl, necklace and earrings (oops!), so they're not going back.  Shhhh!  Don't tell Eric!  ;)  The shoes here aren't the exact ones I purchased (still a newbie at Polyvore), but here's a picture of mine... swoon!


And I got them on SALE!  I'm trying to convince Eric to let me keep them.  Aren't they adorable??  Even if I have to take everything back (hopefully not! *crosses fingers!*), I still enjoyed buying whatever I wanted without one last care for price.  A fun little adventure on my Friday.  I hope your weekend is going fantastically so far - happy Saturday, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the outfit. I have this problem where I hate returning things so this may not be my best plan.

    Dust storms are so interesting to me because I've never experienced one. It's like AZ's form a blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did GREAT on the outfit and it all looks pretty versatile! We recently experienced our first haboob here in Lubbock, TX. It was almost as wow as your outfit :o)

    ReplyDelete