Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall Wreath

So, our door was lacking a little something... personality... of any kind.  Out entry is pretty "blah," and pretty low on the priority list, but I did manage to give it a little autumn deco this weekend!
 

Here's a little tutorial so that you can make your own festive wreath, based on what I did...
I picked up a few things at Michael's...


I saw the stick wreath on sale for $3, and the rest was on super clearance.  I bought a mini-chalkboard, a spool of autumn ribbon, and two bunches of wired, silk flowers.  All I needed was some space, an hour, and a hot glue gun! 

First things first - detach all flowers from their stalks, and remove excess leaves and greenery...



Next, locate ugliest bit of wreath - mine was where many of the sticks were showing off their dead ends...


This is where the "flower bunch" should go.

Push the wired stalks of the flowers through the wreath in any arrangement that you like.  I tried to keep flowers of the same color from touching one another so the colors would look more energetic.

 
I had anticipated being done after one bunch, but i decided to try making a smaller second bunch on the lower right of my wreath...


...And I really liked how it turned out!  Now, twist the wire bits of flowers together and fold them into the wreath...


Next, I glued my ribbon to the back of my chalkboard...


I was careful to use a LOT of hot glue on this baby doesn't come crashing down on any trick-or-treaters.  Trim off the bits of ribbon that stick out past the sides of the chalkboard.

make sure to give yourself LOTS of ribbon to work with for tying the chalkboard into the wreath...


Bring your ribbon over the top of your wreath (making sure the chalkboard is at the height you want it), and thread both pieces through the back of your wreath and tie it off.  Secure with insane amounts of hot glue...


Good thing no one has to see the back, right?!  I know my hot glue skills are intense, but try not to be intimidated.  As Lady Gaga says, "I was born this way."

Trim off the excess ribbon, and hang it on your door with shouts of glee!



Now I wish our door wasn't so "oaky" looinking... Perhaps another paint project is in my future?? Shhhhh!  Don't tell Eric!

Here's my project run-down:
$3 - wreath of sticks
$1.50 - orange ribbon
$2.50 - mini-chalkboard
$2 - bunches of autumn-colored flowers
TOTAL: $9 and less than 1 hour.  Win!

I originally searched google, blogs, and pinterest for another wreath with a chalkboard hanging in the middle to use as inspiration, and I couldn't find anything, so I had to make it up as I went along.   Could I have done completely something original??!!  I'm pretty stoked with how it looks, either way.  =)

Hope you're having a wonderful Monday, and enjoying the lovely fall weather =)

**PS - Don't forget to visit Skinnie's blog for her birthday week of giveaways!  Yours truly will be sponsoring the giveaway tomorrow!!**


Linking to: Home Stories A to Z, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Centsational GirlThrifty 101, Somewhat Simple, House of Hepworths, Decor to AdoreCoastal Charm, It's Fall, Y'all!, Tell Me Tuesday, and

Tip Junkie handmade projects









14 comments:

  1. Love the wreath... turned out great! The colors are perfect and I like how you can change the message on the chalk board. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    -Holly @ Eight Six Eleven

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I really like how you off-set the flowers and added the chalkboard for a personal message. Adorable.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic wreath. I have yet to tackle one. The whole post I was thinking, what a charming door. I actually love it. It has so much texture and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I would have never touched those fake flowers...way to see through and recognize the lovely! And bonus points for a quick AND lovely project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great... very welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the chalkboard!

    I just really love this! You are so creative.

    Thank you so very much for linking up to Fall In Love Wednesdays.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. April I adore your Autumn wreath with the chalkboard!! So cute!

    I have linked up with Laura's Fall in Love with Your House Party!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey girl im featuring this on tell me tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty wreath! I love the flowers. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your wreath and featured it today at House of Hepworths!

    Feel free to stop by and grab a button if you'd like.

    Have a great weekend.

    xoxo

    Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I have had two grapevine wreaths sitting in the garage, you inspired me to take them out and grab some fake flowers and hot glue!

    ReplyDelete