Monday, May 9, 2011

Haircut and weekend details (plus Pinterest!)

I chopped off all my hair!  It feels a little strange, I must say, but it was for a good cause.  I needed a haircut desperately, and I'd wanted to donate my hair for sometime, but didn't think it was long enough.  When I went in for my trim, I had the gal measure it, and she told me that as long as I was ok with a bob a little shorter than my shoulders, I could do it - so I went for it!!  I'll post pictures tomorrow (I don't have any right now that aren't me in front of my macbook cam - ghetto!), so you'll have to wait to see the before and afters.  Speaking of before and afters.....

On Friday night, I dragged took Eric to Goodwill, and BOY did we find some winners!  I snagged a vanity bench ($10) that has some amazing structure (but needs some love, of course), and a pair of ceramic lamps ($6 each) that need a lil' spray paint and some new shades (here we come, week of projects!!), and they'll be just adorable.  As if that weren't enough to keep my busy, on Saturday morning, the people across the street were having a yard sale, and I snagged an ADORABLE little pedestal table ($8).  A little bit of black paint and it'll be all set.

I definitely have my work cut out for me this week/weekend, that's for sure!  Here are my plans for each of the projects.....

Lamps:
~ Bases spray painted blue

(my lamps are a different shape and don't have the brass base, but you get the idea with the color, at least)

~ Add new shades made from basic drum shades and sisal rope from the hardware store

I think they'll look very "beachy" when I'm through!

Pedestal table:
~ Give it a thorough sanding...

~Paint the yucky oak finish BLACK...
This is EXACTLY what mine looks like, just oak colored and poorly stained.  I'm so excited to see it when it's done!!

Vanity Bench:
This about what it looks like now, except the seat is a different pattern of gold

I think the lines are amazing, but the gold has got to go!  SO, I'll....

~Spray paint it silver/ white(?) haven't decided completely yet...

~Sew it a little nautical-striped cushion

I can't wait to show you the real before and after photos!  I'm hoping to complete the lamps by Thursday evening (wishful thinking??), but we'll see.  And in other news, I was so pleased yesterday when I hosted our family's mother's day gathering, to hear so many of my relatives tell me how lovely and homey our house is.  I'm so enjoying decorating it on the cheap (we're still under $1200 for all of our improvements/projects/furniture so far!), and I'm loving that others feel instantly comfortable the moment they walk in our doors: mission (although still in progress) accomplished.  I hope you all had wonderful weekends celebrating your mothers!  Happy Monday, all!

PS - I was invited to Pinterest (Warning!  It's COMPLETELY addicting!), so feel free to follow me there!  Go here to see my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment