Friday, April 30, 2010

California, California, here we come!


The time has come. Eric and I have continued a tradition from my family of visiting Disneyland at least once a year and completely obsessing about it at all times when we are not there. Yes, it's true. My name is April, and I am a Disneyland addict. Not to be confused with a Disney addict, who covers their home in mickey mouse deco and wears their mickey ears to church (I have only been known to occasionally wear them to the grocery store... kidding! kind of). I love Disneyland. If you have never been, I am praying that God would allow you to visit that wonderland someday. If you have been, and you have anything childlike in your spirit at all, you know what I'm talking about. From the moment you step onto the ground, you feel it: magic. Not the "hocus pocus" kind that frightens home-schooler moms everywhere (no offense to some wonderful homeschooling mothers out there), but a a feeling of something ideal and nostalgic. No one hurts at Disneyland, everyone smiles - it's like a slice of heaven for me. Costco and Disneyland will surely be in heaven, I am convinced!

From Main Street USA, where everyone is dressed in period clothing, to The Pirates of the Caribbean what smells ever so slightly of mildew (honestly how does it not REAK of mildew? Props, Disney cleaning staff, props!), the presentation of perfection is... perfect. Even though you will inevitably spend more than half of your day in line, people of all ages, races and classes FLOCK there (don't believe me? Check out the attendance stats - crazy!). There's something about Disneyland that speaks to people's hearts, and mine especially.

So, this afternoon, Eric and I and our friend, Rachael (of mushroom Stuffed Shrimp and Lemon Garlic Grilled Artichoke fame) will bea leaving for 5 glorious days to SoCal and Disneyland! First we have the wonderful pleasure of visiting family that I wish Wish WISH lived closer to us. My Aunt Susan, Uncle Jon and their children all live in CA, and I always cherish our times together since they are significantly fewer than those I get with my family here. We even get to BBQ with them on Saturday night! (Hopefully I will be able to blog something about our dinner or the delicious beer my cousin Aaron and his wife Ami are bringing!!) After spending a day or so with our San Diego family, we jet up teh coast to see the Cylwik LA fam! Eric's grandparents and aunt, uncle and cousin live in the LA area, and I think we get to see everyone (including my in-laws who will be there visiting as well, woop woop!).

In short (unlike this post) I'm headed out for a few stress-free, blogging-free days (stress does not equal blogging, thank goodness!). Pray we stay safe on the road, and enjoy the heck out of the family we seldom see. (start sermon-ette here)I will tell you this, if you don't have a GREAT relationship with your family and you can salvage it, you should. Family is irreplaceable and demonstrates the love God has for us in such a tangible way (end sermon-ette here). OK, i'm feeling mushy right now, so I'd better stoop before i end up all weepy on the floor. Jk, that doesn't happen to me... very often.

So for the next few days you will have to wait in suspense to see what crosses our vacation table! I'll give you a taster though... Prepare for a recipe from the Blue Bayou inside the Pirates of the Caribbean!! =) Until next time, happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment